At Rigor, we provide crucial data to help our clients ensure that their websites are running smoothly. When issues arise, we recognize that it can sometimes be difficult to figure out where to begin troubleshooting. In order to make your experience using Rigor as easy as possible, and to ultimately save you time, we’ve created a series of troubleshooting checklists for the most common support issues.
Here’s how to begin analyzing a waterfall chart for a failed run for Real Browser checks:
- Open the check dashboard and search for the affected time period
- Have the failures been happening often or was it one-off?
- One-off errors are harder to diagnose, if at all * Was the alert for a specific location or across locations?
- Knowing this can help narrow down the scope of troubleshooting
Compare the waterfall chart for the failed run to waterfalls for 1-2 other failed runs around the same time, and preferably same location, to see if there’s a pattern
- Compare the waterfall for the failed run to the waterfalls for 1-2 successful runs (try both the same location and different locations) to see how resources normally load
Do the waterfalls not match up?
- Which rows are different, and what type of resource is it?
- Look for trackers, ads, and other 3rd party resources
- Which phase looks different (blocking, connecting, etc.)?
- Look for red text, long blocking, and large gaps
- What recent changes were made to the page or site that may have affected the check?
For more information on reading waterfalls and phases, check out: https://help.rigor.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004750168-How-to-Read-a-Waterfall-Chart
Download this checklist here: